UA-40215394-1

Blog

Harmful plants and beautiful flowers to avoid when you have pets

Apricots are more harmful plants that can hurt or even kill our pets.

Here is a quick reference guide to many of the most harmful plants that are commonly found in our homes and gardens that can be toxic to most animals. Following are the ones that are especially dangerous and can be fatal.

The most harmful plants and foods

Almonds, Amaryllis bulb, Anthurium, Apricot, Autumn Crocus (colchicum autumnaic), Begonia, Bleeding Heart, Caladrum, Calla Lily, Castor Bean(can be fatal if chewed), Chinese sacred or heavenly bamboo, Chocolate, Choke cherry(unripe berries), Dumb cane(diffenbachia), Elderberry(unripe berries), Foxglove(digitalis), Garlic, Hydrangea, Jack-in-the-pulpit, Jimson weed, Kalanmchoe, Lantana, Lily-of-the Valley, Marijuana or hemp(cannabis), Milkweed, Mistletoe berries, Monkshood, Morning glory, Oak, Oleander, Onions, Peaches, Pencil cactus plant, Philodendron(all species), Rhubarb leaves, Rosary Pea(can be fatal if swallowed), Yew.

Less harmful plants but still to be avoided

Avocado (leaves, seeds, stem and skin), Bird of Paradise, Bittersweet, Boxwood, Bracken Fern, Buckeye, Buttercup, Caffeine, Cherry, Chrysanthemum, Clematis, Crocus Bulb, Croton, Cyclamen Bulb, Daffodil, Delphinium, English Ivy, Fig, Four-o’clocks, Hyacinth Bulbs, Holly berries, Iris corms, Lily(bulbs of most species), Lupine species, Mountain Laurel, Narcissus, Poinsettia (many hybrids-avoid them all), Potato(leaves and stem), Schefflera (Umbrella plant), Shamrock, Spurge and Tomatoes (leaves and stem).

In conclusion

I Hope you find this helpful since it’s the season for beautiful plants to be bought to brighten your home and yard. Just be mindful, that although they are beautiful or tasty, they can make your pet (or child) very ill or worse case, fatal.

If you think your pet may have ingested one of these plants, or foods take action immediately and call Animal Poison Control Centerr@ (888) 426-4435. There will be a fee for this call, but it might save your pets life.

  1. That’s why I tend to be picky when buying fruits. I can’t let my dogs eat grapes now, can I?

    • treannetreanne10-13-2013

      Yes Christopher you definitely have to be picky! Some of the fruits we love the most can be highly toxic to our pets, so its best to do some research before giving an animal anything.

  2. Shaun HooblerShaun Hoobler12-22-2014

    Whoa. Thanks for the info. I’ll get rid of these plants from now on.

Leave a Reply